The resume is a strategically important document in your business school application. It can usually be made stronger and give your applications a boost. Here are a few before and after examples of how much more effective a resume or CV can become.
This entry did nothing to show activities, responsibilities, or achievements. It grossly underrepresented the value of this long term internship.
Unique Entertainment / City / State
Department : Marketing
Job Title : Marketing Communication
Marketing Communication Specialist, Unique Entertainment – City 2009 – 2011
- Generated potential partnership relationships with via direct mail campaign
- Created strategy for company’s first direct mail campaign to targeted industries.
- Initiated company’s first contact with potential partner in Paris.
Engineer resume before
This entry separated the company and job title, not a traditional placement. It also had a spelling error which is sure to lower this applicant’s competitiveness.
02/2011 – 02/2012 Project Engineer
- Worked in a team designing and modelling underground stations and ventilation buildings for Istanbul Metro Project.
- Designed of pre-stressed concrete girder highway bridges.
Sheffield-Yale Engineering and Consulting City (Country)
Engineer resume after
After the consultation, this applicant realized the applicability of his past experiences to business processes. There are many transferrable skills and experiences that will impress MBA admissions committees as well as employers. Notice the increased specificity and use of metrics to communicate scale and magnitude.
Project Engineer, Sheffield-Yale Engineering and Consulting City, Country 02/2011 – 02/2012
- Prepared ten structural design reports including design philosophy, project parameters, computer models and analysis for bridges, underground metro stations, and shopping centers for external engineering consulting partners.
- Audited four structural designs and reports including model evaluation, checked drawing accuracy per specification, written assessment of project quality and viability for residential, hospital, school, and other buildings with a total budget of approximately 20 million dollars.
- Modelled and designed 5 underground stations and 2 ventilation buildings for Istanbul Metro Project, having a total area of 40,000m2.
- Designed 3 pre-stressed concrete girder bridges spanning 40m to 60m according to AASHTO Specifications for 3 hydroelectric power projects.
- Collaborated with construction managers and engineering consultants at Parsons Brinckerhoff, GAMA and Northern about change orders, design issues, and technical problems.
These two cases illustrate the great improvement that is usually possible when thinking critically about a position and writing for the specific reader. In these cases an MBA admissions committee will greatly prefer the revised versions.
If you would like professional resume help, contact us.