I recently met a Turkish student studying in London that had also considered two very different schools in different parts of the USA. He said
Turkish students decide where to go to graduate school because 90% of the influence of family. This importance of family is similar in different parts of the world.
Without diminishing the importance of family in the decision, I ask what other factors influence your decision. Importantly, how do you weigh these other factors? There are many, so what do you do to give them proper weight?
- Proximity to industries you want to work in.
- Proximity to your own network (friends, family, etc).
- Weather (it is a bigger factor than you may think).
- Existence of a strong community of people from your own country.
- Quality of the specific degree program you are considering.
- Reputation of the university you are considering.
- Strength of the alumni network from the school or university.
- Geographic reach of the alumni network.
- Net cost to attend a particular university.
- Expected earnings after attending a particular program.
- Wishes of your family.