If you are thinking about applying to a PSM program or are looking for alternatives to PhD and MBA programs, this may be for you. I have been working on the first guide to applying to PSM programs for the last few months and expect it to be available in the next two weeks. It is called “Putting it All Together: How to Apply to Professional Science Masters programs” and covers all aspects of the application process from researching programs to what happens after you get an admission offer. I have posted the table of contents below so you can see what the guidebook will include.
In the spirit of “Black Friday” (the biggest shopping day of the year in the US), I am happy to offer a special package for those that pre-order the guidebook. Everyone that pre-orders the guidebook for $23.00 usd will also receive a complimentary resume / CV review and critique session. It will recorded for your future reference and the outcome is a resume that is optimized to your applications. The session will last at least an hour and will help improve your chances of admission.
This special package is only available until midnight Sunday the 27th of November.
- WHY ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT GOING TO GRADUATE SCHOOL?
- Career enhancer
- Career changer
- Cultural expectations
- Requirement of specific career path
- To find yourself
- WHAT IS THE PAYBACK ON A GRADUATE DEGREE?
- Time to complete a graduate degree
- Direct costs of attending graduate school
- Opportunity costs of graduate school options
- Graduate school return on investment
WHY PURSUE A PSM DEGREE?
- WHAT IS A PSM DEGREE?
- WHAT A PROFESSIONAL SCIENCE MASTERS ISN’T
- WHO OFFERS PROFESSIONAL SCIENCE MASTERS PROGRAMS?
- WHY PURSUE A PSM?
- MANY PSM FOCUS AREAS
- RESEARCH SCHOOLS
- HOW TO CHOOSE A PROGRAM
- Career services and outcomes
- Delivery format
- Program reputation
- Course offering
- Student body
- VISIT AND LOOK FOR YOURSELF
- OTHER RESEARCH METHODS
- Alumni feedback
- Current students
- Where are they?
- ADMISSIONS COMMITTEES ARE STEWARDS
- HOW ADMISSIONS COMMITTEES WORK
- WHAT ADMISSIONS COMMITTEES WANT
PLANNING YOUR APPLICATION PROCESS
- GRADUATE SCHOOL
- APPLICATION TIMELINE
- When to submit applications?
- What do different deadlines mean?
- HOW TO ENGAGE THE PSM PROGRAM
- Email do’s:
- Email don’ts:
- Campus visit
- Telephone interaction
- Social media interaction
- WHAT ARE ADMISSIONS ESSAYS?
- WHEN ARE ESSAYS REQUIRED?
- HOW IMPORTANT ARE ESSAYS?
- HOW ARE ESSAYS EVALUATED?
- HOW TO INTERPRET DIFFERENT KINDS OF ESSAY QUESTIONS
- Specific essay questions
- Vague essay questions
- Statement of exceptional circumstances
- HOW TO WRITE STRONG ESSAYS
- Four degrees of detail: an essay framework
- Recycling can be obvious
- Proofread your essays
- How to overcome a weak essay
- ESSAY DEVELOPMENT CHECKLIST
- HOW IMPORTANT ARE GRADES FOR ADMISSION?
- HOW ARE UNDERGRADUATE GRADES INTERPRETED?
- OVERALL GRADE TRENDS AND HOW THEY MATTER
- Low at the beginning, gradually improving
- High grades at the beginning, then lower overall
- Low grades in one year, but high grades in all others
- High grades only in courses unrelated to your PSM goal
- Low grades in specific courses
- Low grades overall
- Wild grade fluctuations
- CONTEXT FOR GRADES IS IMPORTANT
- HOW CAN YOU OFFSET A LOW GPA?
- WHAT IS A RESUME?
- HOW IMPORTANT IS A RESUME?
- HOW ARE RESUMES EVALUATED?
- Quality of work experience
- Quantity of work experience
- WHAT FORMAT IS BEST?
- HOW TO TREAT INTERNSHIPS AND PART TIME WORK
- EXAMPLE RESUME – RECENT GRADUATE
- EXAMPLE RESUME – EARLY CAREER PROFESSIONAL
- WHAT ABOUT LINKEDIN?
- WHAT ARE ADMISSIONS REFERENCES?
- HOW IMPORTANT ARE REFERENCES?
- HOW TO GET STRONG LETTERS OF REFERENCE
- WHAT ABOUT CHARACTER REFERENCES?
- MOST COMMON STANDARDIZED TESTS
- WHEN ARE THEY REQUIRED?
- HOW IMPORTANT IS THE GRE?
- HOW ARE THEY ASSESSED?
- HOW TO ADDRESS A WEAKNESS IN THIS AREA
- HOW AND WHEN TO PREPARE FOR THE GRE
- New GRE test format
- WHAT ARE ADMISSIONS INTERVIEWS?
- WHAT KINDS OF ADMISSIONS INTERVIEWS ARE THERE?
- Assessment interviews
- Informational interviews
- Marketing interviews
- Relationship interviews
- HOW TO PREPARE FOR ADMISSIONS INTERVIEWS
- HOW ARE INTERVIEWS ASSESSED?
- HOW ARE ADMISSIONS INTERVIEWS USED IN DECISIONS?
- What if you have a weak interview?
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT CONSIDERATIONS
- PROGRAM GOALS
- LANGUAGE TESTS
- TOEFL – Test of English as a Foreign Language
- IELTS – International English Language Testing System
- PTE – Pearson Test of English – Academic
- HOW LANGUAGE TESTS ARE USED
- ADMISSIONS INTERVIEWS
- ADDITIONAL CONSIDERATIONS
- Likely application scenarios
- VISA PROCESS
- THREE POSSIBLE OUTCOMES
- WHY IS APRIL TH AN IMPORTANT DAY?
- CONDITIONAL ADMISSION: YOU’RE IN – SORT OF…
- FULLY ADMITTED, NOW GO SOMEWHERE!
- Important factors to consider
- CAN YOU DEFER (AND WHAT DOES THAT MEAN, ANYWAY)?
- WAITLISTED, BUT WHY?
- DENIED, NOW WHAT?
WHAT MAKES A “BAD” APPLICATION?
- CASE STUDY